Thursday, February 16, 2012

I Need A Husband to Help Plunge My Toilet!!!!



I overheard the funniest conversation at work recently! There was an issue with the toilet and one of our young female employees beckoned one of the guys to plunge it for her. He went on to say, that he would gladly show her HOW to plunge a toilet for future reference. Her response..........."I don't need to know how to plunge toilets. That's why I'm getting married. My husband will do that stuff for me!" WOW! What an enormous statement! We all laughed at her hilarious response. However, it caused me to think much deeper. Although, this is a lighthearted example I think it accurately represents the mindset of so many women waiting on "their husbands" before they can learn something, do something, buy something, build something.....enjoy life! Of course, as a single woman I am excitedly waiting for the day that I'll be able to share experiences with my husband. However, it is not fair to me or him for me to WAIT until he comes before I can start enjoying my life!

Besides, is this not bringing "baggage into the relationship?" Oftentimes, "baggage" as it relates to relationships is often referred to the emotional baggage of past hurts, disappointments, and mistakes. However, I am starting to think that entering a relationship with the mindset of the other person rescuing you in a particular area is in every way bringing baggage and laying it at the feet of the other person. We must live our best life NOW!!! I, as a single should be thinking......"What will I bring to his life? How can I make him better? How will I be able to add? What can I be doing now to be a greater asset to him?" To start thinking selfishly before the relationship ever starts is a recipe for disappointment later........ (Besides, if I have a toilet that needs to be plunged......I cant wait around for my husband to get here. I need it plunged NOW! :-))

Patiently Waiting and Destroying A "Baggage" Mindset!

No comments:

Post a Comment